You must make sure your child gets a full-time education that meets their needs (e.g. if they have special educational needs). You can send your child to school or educate them yourself.

Children must get an education between the school term after their fifth birthday and the last Friday in June in the school year they turn 16.

It is the responsibility of parents / carers to ensure their children receive appropriate education at school or otherwise. If your child is ill or unable to attend their education provision for some reason you should always contact the provider on the first day of absence.

Educational Inclusion & Partnership Team (EIP)

EIP acts to champion the right of all children to receive a high quality education. The service will work to overcome any barriers to learning through skilled problem solving with a range of partners.

Legislation changes from September 2013 

Changes to legislation in 2013 mean parents are no longer entitled to take their child on holiday during term time.

Any application for leave must only be in exceptional circumstances and the headteacher must be satisfied that the circumstances are exceptional and warrant the granting of leave. Headteachers would not be expected to class any term time holiday as exceptional.

Parents can be fined by the local authority for taking their child on holiday during term time without the consent of the school. It’s important that parents understand that the initial fixed penalty notice of £60 is issued to each parent for each child. A two-parent family with two children would be fined £240.

Emotionally Based School Avoidance

Emotionally Based School Avoidance is the 'fear' which brings with it some very debilitating symptoms. Emotionally Based School Avoidance is the behaviour displayed to avoid feeling the fear. 

Children may refuse to go to school for prolonged periods if they:

  • are anxious
  • have problems with social relationships
  • are bullied
  • have poor literacy or numeracy skills
  • become disaffected

If you’re having trouble getting your child to go to school, the school and the local authority can help. 

The school will discuss attendance problems with you and should agree a plan with you to improve your child’s attendance. Parents can also seek advice from the Educational Inclusion & Partnership Team (EIP).