Independent Supporters are an additional resource, independent of the Local Authority and other professionals, to help families navigate the new Education, Health and Care (EHC) assessment and planning process during:
- Education Health and Care needs assessments
- Transfer of Statements of Special Educational Needs to an EHC Plan
- Transfer of Learning Difficulty Assessments (LDA) to EHC Plans
An Independent Supporter is a time-limited resource available during the EHC assessment process and their support ends when an EHC Plan is finalised or if it is decided that an EHC Plan is not necessary.
Independent Supporters are there to offer support that is tailored to the needs of individual parents and young people. This support may be offered through face to face contact and/or via telephone or email, and attendance at meetings with you.
Although they may give advice and support, Independent Supporters cannot make decisions for you or attend meetings in your absence.
How can an Independent Supporter help parents and/or young people?
- Help to understand the Local Offer and local referral processes
- Help to understand the EHC needs assessment process and timescales
- Act as a named contact throughout the EHC assessment and planning process
- Help to express their views in relation to the EHC process
- Liaise across a range of services to help gather and interpret information required for an EHC plan
- Help to understand personal budgets
- Signposting back to the Information Advice Support Service when the issue is outside the remit of an Independent Supporter
Core Assets have been commissioned alongside IASS to provide Independent Supporters for families in Northamptonshire. In order to access an Independent Supporter (for the parent/carer, the young person or both) please contact us. An Independent Supporter will be allocated as soon as possible and they will contact you.